visa Requirements

Do I require a
visa to study at BCC?

EU/EEA Citizens

If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country, you do not require a visa to study in the UK.

Visa Nationals

If you are a citizen of a ‘Visa Country’ (ie a ‘Visa National’), you will require a visa to study in the UK. To check details, you should refer to the UK Border Agency website and refer to Appendix 1 of the Immigration Rules at Persons Who Require A Visa For The United Kingdom. Citizens of countries detailed at Appendix 1 are termed ‘Visa Nationals’.

Non-Visa Nationals

A ‘Non-Visa National’ is a citizen of any country that is NOT detailed by the UK Border Agency at Appendix 1 of the Immigration Rules at Persons Who Require A Visa For The United Kingdom. A Non-Visa National may not require a visa to visit the UK for a period of less than 6 months; however, your eligibility should be checked with your local British Embassy/British Consulate. A Non-Visa National visiting the UK for a period of 6 months or more will require a visa.

How do I apply for a visa?

You can download official visa application forms from the UKBA website as follows:
General Student Visa: Tier4 (General) Application Form.
Student Visitor Visa: Application form VAF1D – Student visitor.
Child Visitor Visa: Application form VAF1A – General visitor.
To apply for your visa you will need the following:

  • Passport
  • Visa application form
  • Confirmation letter from the college
  • Visa fee
  • Your biometric details, i.e. fingers scans and a full-face digital photo (the British Embassy/British Consulate will arrange this process).
  • A recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm) photograph in color on a white background, not framed, on normal photographic paper, full face without a hat or sunglasses.
  • Proof from your bank that you have enough money to cover your tuition fees, accommodation and expenses while the UK.

Students from certain countries are required to register with the police after arrival. At Bournemouth, you do not need to book an appointment. The office is open Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday from 9.30am to 12pm. When you register you will be issued with a Police RegistrationCertificate. It is important to keep this document in a safe place. The police require some documents for the registration process and you need to bring with you:

  • Passport
  • 2 photographs – passport size
  • Confirmation letter from the college
  • Small Fee to pay (£34.00 in cash only)

You should also make a photocopy of your certificate and keep it in a safe place. Once you have registered, you will need to inform the Police of the following changes in your circumstances within 7 days: change of address, change place of study, renew your passport, marital status, so that they can update your certificate. Always carry the college Student Card or your National Identify Card with you. You may be asked for your Identity Card in shops as you are not allowed to buy alcohol unless you are 18 years old or older. If you lose your Certificate of Registration or it has been damaged, you should contact the Police station for a replacement registration document